Whether it’s old-school throwbacks, teen pop or ‘80s movie soundtracks, everyone has those go-to nostalgic songs. You know, the tracks you play over and over—even if it’s only when no one else is listening.
In Spotify’s Guilty Pleasures series, some favorite influencers and internet personalities are revealing the tunes they can’t help but love.
Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton is a master behind the wheel, so what does he listen to when he’s alone in the car? If he’s not racing, there is a good chance it’s Will Smith.
Born and raised in Hertfordshire, England, Hamilton is statistically the best driver in British history. He began racing karts when he was eight; since then he has won four World Championships and holds the record for the most all-time career points. Currently, the 33-year-old races for the Mercedes AMG Petronas team, and even teamed up with artist Frank Ocean to make some music of his own.
Spotify spoke with Lewis about the songs on his guilty pleasures playlist, in and out of the car.
- “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It” by Will Smith. Late ‘90s party anthem, ‘nuff said.
- “7 Days” by Craig David. I think if you were a teenager in the UK when this song came out and you had a crush on somebody, you probably sang this to them—at the very least in your mind.
- “Careless Whisper” by George Michael. An undeniable saxophone solo, and a melody that will never be forgotten. I’m pretty sure most people play the invisible sax when this one comes on. An epic tune. RIP George Michael. Legend.
- “Gangsta’s Paradise” by Coolio. I thought I was Coolio when this song came out. Great movie, great tune.
- “Bitter Sweet Symphony” by The Verve. The strings, the drums… an epic tune to sing out loud when no one is around.