The world premiere of the highly anticipated Barbie movie, directed by Little Women writer-director Greta Gerwig and starring Margot Robbie as the world’s most popular doll, is here. To celebrate the massive cultural moment that is Barbie, listeners will notice that things have gotten a little more pink on Spotify, starting with a refresh of the exclusive Barbie Official Playlist and a special Barbie-pink play bar.
Featuring an all-star cast that includes Ryan Gosling as “Ken,” as well as appearances by America Ferrera, Issa Rae, Simu Liu, Will Ferrell, and Kate McKinnon, every new trailer or clip that has been released since the first few images came out last year has ramped up excitement for the film. There’s been a rise in pink clothing sales, food vendors are introducing Barbie-themed menu items, and a real-life pink Malibu DreamHouse was built.
Even Spotify listeners have been hyped about the upcoming premiere, with more than 620,000 Barbie-related user-generated playlists on the platform. Playlist creation spiked nearly 270% on May 26 after the Barbie film trailer was released, and it has continued to increase in the weeks since. On these playlists, some of the most added tracks include “California Gurls” by Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg, “Barbie Tingz” by Nicki Minaj, “Toxic” and “Oops!…I Did It Again” by Britney Spears, “Wannabe” by Spice Girls, “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper, and—of course—the 1997 Aqua hit single “Barbie Girl.”
The newly updated Barbie Official Playlist brings in new music from Atlantic Records to celebrate all the Barbies and Kens (and Allans) out there. For example, Dua Lipa’s “Dance The Night,” Billie Eilish’s “What Was I Made For?” and the Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice banger “Barbie World (with Aqua)” make the cut. The playlist will also feature Spotify Canvas on selected tracks, which features film footage that gives fans an immersive experience. The score for the movie, composed by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt, will be released on August 4 and will be featured on the official playlist.
Listeners will also find a Living in a Barbie World destination that features the Barbie Official Playlist and other playlists to get you ready for your Barbie summer including Summer Pop and our new Hot Pink playlist that will give listeners a personalized Barbie-inspired vibe.
Barbie has long been a source of joy, nostalgia, and humor for so many. And following Friday’s premiere of Barbie, there was an increase in streams of Barbie-themed tracks amongst Spotify users globally on July 22.*
- Global streams of Spotify’s Barbie Official Playlist increased by nearly 1,560%.
- Global streams of “Spice Up Your Life” by Spice Girls increased by more than 150%.
- Global streams of “WATATI (feat. Aldo Ranks) [From Barbie The Album]” by KAROL G and Aldo Ranks increased by more than 120%.
- Global streams of “Barbie World (with Aqua) [From Barbie The Album]” by Nicki Minaj, Ice Spice, and Aqua increased by nearly 100%.
- Barbie The Album was the number one most-streamed newly released album globally on Spotify from July 21-July 23, with “I’m Just Ken” by Ryan Gosling (#8) and “Man I Am” by Sam Smith (#10) both in the top ten of the weekend’s Top Songs Debut Global chart.
*Compared to average number of streams from June 24- July 21, 2023
There’s more Barbie-inspired fun to be had on Spotify. Don’t forget your rollerblades!